Sunday, September 1, 2013

New York: Day 3


For breakfast, we went and explored the Chelsea Market. There were so many different bakeries and places to try, so we got a couple of things from one or another. For breakfast we went to the Milk Bar and shared a sandwich and a big bottle of chocolate milk. They had so many different flavors of milk to try. We also shared a cheese danish and a tiramisu. Brandon walked around the seafood market for a bit which was kind of interesting to see what people can eat. I could never put that octopus in my mouth...when we were done there, we got some gelato and took it out on the pier to eat.










From there, we went and walked The Highline. The Highline is a public park built on an old deserted rail road track that is elevated above the streets of Manhattan and it is about a mile long. They have only left the tracks in certain places and the rest has been changed. There is food, benches and places to relax.







Okay, now for one of the parts I was most looking forward to...Cafe Lalo! My favorite movie is You've Got Mail. It has always given me high expectations for New York. I don't know if it is because of her bookstore The Shop Around The Corner, the cute music it has or just the fact that it is Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks but it just makes me smile and I think it is the cutest story. The bookstore never actually existed except for filming the movie, but Cafe Lalo where they go to meet does. :) I want to say Meg Ryan was sitting right where this table is now in the first picture. So we sat pretty close. :) We ordered strawberry shortcake and a lemonade. They have so many desserts to choose from! I'm sure it would have been more magical around Christmas time but it was still fun. Yes, I kept my napkin. And yes, I will frame it.









After that, we got on the Subway and headed to the Brooklyn Bridge! Another thing I have always wanted to see. Probably because of Newsies...:) but I just think it is pretty. Then instead of spending money to go and see the Statue of Liberty, we just looked at it from afar. We ended up there around sunset, which was perfect. After that, we walked to Iron Chef Alex Guarnaschelli's restaurant Butter to try her beignet that she raves about but it was closed for renovation. That was a bummer. So we hopped over to Iron Chef Bobby Flay's restaurant instead.












The subways got pretty hot and muggy at night.


Bobbly Flay's place. He's pretty excited. :)

This day had a lot of food packed into it. We also tried a New York hotdog and this ice cream cone with sprinkles which was so good! Good thing we did a lot of walking. Our feet were always so tired by the end of the night. My sweet husband would always give me a foot massage when we got back to our hotel, one thing I miss most from the trip. :)










No comments:

Post a Comment