Monday, August 13, 2018

Paris: Part III

We headed to Musee d'Orsay first thing in the morning after grabbing some breakfast at yet another bakery. We headed up to the top first to catch the view from the clock window and then worked our way down looking at all of the art.



The beautiful Louvre just across the Seine river.





Then we walked a ways to get back to Notre Dame because we never went in the first time because we went so early it hadn't opened yet. This time we planned to go inside and also feed the pigeons!




Of course making multiple stops on the way and taking our sweet time.


We stopped to get some lemonades about a block away and these didn't taste so much like lemonade but more like fresh squeezed juice. One was strawberry orange and the other passion fruit something...I can't remember but the passion fruit one was much better.







Feeding the pigeons was definitely a highlight of the trip.




I decided to put these outtakes in because I couldn't stop laughing when they all went for one arm. It got so heavy I could barely hold them all up! Also, that pigeon falling down if you zoom in...haha.


So heavy!




The Notre Dame is even more remarkable inside than I was expecting. I think the tallest ceiling I have ever seen.





We caught an Uber to take us to the Arc de Triomphe because it was quite far away and we wanted to get to the top before the sun went down. Once you get there you don't just cross into the roundabout. You have to go down into a tunnel to pay for tickets to climb up. The line was pretty long to get tickets and so I hurried and purchased some on my Get Your Guide app and we basically got right in. Seriously recommend that app if you are heading anywhere with a ton of touristy lines. Another thing to mention, there are no elevators open to the public. You must walk the 300 steps up.


But that view! I specifically chose to climb the Arc over the Eiffel Tower because I wanted the Eiffel Tower to be in view. I didn't care to be in it. And I love all the tree lined streets that branch off from the Arc de Triomphe.


This building had a very mossy looking middle to it which was cool.








This was a whole new day but I only took a handful of camera photos and a few more phone photos. We actually started the day headed to the Catacombs which was interesting because the Tour de France was going on and most of the streets were blocked off. We ended up finally crossing the Seine after taking a roundabout way and calling an Uber to drive us to the Catacombs. I'll share my phone photos later.


My pretty mama. She was a trooper with her injured toe.


These three dogs just sauntering around this courtyard cracked me up.





Our very last day. The plan was to head up to Montmartre and explore the streets and check out Sacre Coeur with it's view of the city. On the way over we stopped at the Opera House and took a tour and also ate lunch on the steps.




We stopped at Laduree and grabbed some macarons. The guy there suggested we try the champagne rose macaron and it just might have been my favorite. We tried macarons from Pierre Herme and those flavors were a little too wild for me. I much prefer chocolate, vanilla and raspberry. But that champagne rose one is worth getting.


When you first walk into the Palais Garnier (opera house) you think, "This is it?" But you aren't entering from the front. So just you wait. It gets better and it is truly remarkable.




This room blew our minds. So much gold. So ornate.



A view looking out from the Opera House.



Geeking out a little here as we peered into box number 5 from Phantom of the Opera.




Just wow.


But these doors to separate boxes are so cool.


We ate our macarons up at Sacre Coure which I didn't get a photo of on my camera.


Exploring Montmartre. The streets are so quaint. 




Back at our hotel and I had to get one more of my favorite breads I tried there. The Praline Brioche. They have small ones but it's fun getting these huge ones you can share. It's so fluffy and topped with candy pieces and pralines.




I said it once and I'll say it again. Stay at The Westin. Such a good location. Maybe next time we will splurge for a suite with a view of the Eiffel Tower.


We'll always have Paris. Too cheesy? Okay, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment