Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Goodbyes

The day came that we had been dreading...Joseph entered the MTC. I can't even imagine him being gone for two years. Vacations without him, holidays, not getting his random texts with funny movie quotes, not being able to share secrets...this is the first time our family has really been separated. I got teary eyed when he opened his mission call, cried like a baby during his farewell talk, but it wasn't til last night that it really hit me that he was leaving in the morning. The worst part was that I had classes that I couldn't miss and I wasn't  going to be able to go with my family and drop him off at the MTC. I couldn't sleep. When I woke up, I got ready, trying not to cry. I avoided his room until I was running out of time and had to go say goodbye and head to class. I lost it as soon as he wrapped his arms around me. I have the most amazing brother. I don't know anyone that treats his sisters as well as he does. Having him leave makes me realize just how blessed I am. I know he is going to be an amazing missionary and he has the greatest testimony I have ever heard.
I zoned out in my first class, and in my second class Joseph sent me his last text which I didn't even get to respond to because I was in the dark room. I couldn't really pay attention during school today. My family took pictures though so I will post some from the MTC.

After his farewell talk 

Joseph saying goodbye to his girlfriend Taylor. Another heart
wrenching moment. My heart hurt for them. I remember that
feeling all to well. :(

After Joseph was set apart.

Last night together. The fam playing Cranium.



Last goodbyes at the MTC. I've realized this past
week that I have a very emotional family. :)
So hard to let him go.


5 comments:

  1. Amy, I just bawled my eyes out reading this!! Ugh! I hope you and your family are doing okay. Joseph sounds like he'll be one heck of a missionary! If you ever need to take your mind off things call me and we'll play. I love you! (this is chelsea walker, ps.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh!!!! How sweet!!! I'm not going to lie.. I'm very jealous that you have a brother that has his ducks in a row to actually go on a mission. As heart-wrenching as it is for you to say goodbye, I'm sure that your pride of what he's doing will just overshadow it!! But!! In the mean time, I just love you and miss you!! If you need a hug, then just call me up!! We so need to hang out again! And! I have your... decorations... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Chelsea! You are so sweet! You were always my go to girl when I needed someone to talk to while Brandon was on his mission. :) Especially that first night. You really helped me out texting me all night. :) I owe you for that. Yes we need to play! Let me know when you aren't busy planning your wedding. I love you too!
    Sidney! Yes, I am very proud of him. :) Two years is just so long! I just posted on your blog about hanging out but yes! Let's make it happen! Whenever you aren't working which seems like always. I'm glad your party turned out well. I want to hear all about it! Haha! And get my decorations. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy! this post made me sad..but its good! he will be such a great missionary. and yes you have a very loving and emotional family. I miss you. I ran with steph a few times and it was so great. we should try and play someday. love you girl. i hope you are okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! What bitter-sweet moments. I'm so happy for Joseph, though. He will make a wonderful missionary! He is such a great guy. Loved getting to know all of you through cross country and track!

    Just be glad you have someone worth missing so much. I'm glad you have a great little brother who treats his sisters right :)

    ReplyDelete